25 January, 2006

Catching a couple weekend movies...

I stayed put in bed for the most part of last weekend. Ended up in the hospital for a couple of hours Friday night. Not fun. Didn't go out much. Except for a little venture to the Reptile Palace on Saturday night to see a few bands play. Wasn’t feeling terribly good. So I needed to rest up.

So what do I do when I spend my time laying around in the apartment? I turn to the movies.

Oshkosh got a Cinema 10 propped up along highway 41. I had a lot of choices since I haven’t gone to the movies for the longest time. It’s the ticket prices that keep me away.

I squeezed in some time to see “Underworld: Evolution” Saturday afternoon. Paid the matinee price for it. It's not a bad flick. It could be better. It's like mindless popcorn drivel. Spiked with cool effects. And a blood lust to boot.

I like vampires. That helps. I’ve always been interested in anything vampy. It’s also the sequel to “Underworld” which came out a couple of years ago.

Kate Beckinsale plays an ideal vampire. Her pale, sleek features betray a sensual beauty… with more curves than Route 66. Her character Selene learns more about her family secrets. And the beginnings of the vampire/werewolf lores. Watching the interplay between the fanged-filled monsters and furry beasts harks back to the Ray Harryhausen movie days. Just a bit more updated.

I would prefer more characterization. That's always the heart of the story. New Orleans' Anne Rice made her own vampires impossibly human in her books. The same could be done here. They carry with them a burden. Their lives are often unending chapters. There's so more that could be done with this film. Instead, the characters are little more than cardboard cutouts.

I got to see “Chronicles of Narnia” during Sunday evening’s showing. I liked this one better. It helped me move me into another world. The beauty of this Narnia seemed so alien. The four main children find the ice-dampened world through a wardrobe. There's a feared winter. It's no longer a paradise. This Disney adaptation remains a pretty headstrong one... many worthwhile qualities.

Chronicles' author C.S. Lewis is an odd duck. He married a woman twenty-five years older than himself. He was a Catholic. And those Christian trends weave into the film. The most important: betrayal. As in Judas betraying Christ. You see a lot of backstabbing in the film: the faun Mr. Tumnus betraying Lucy, Edmond betraying his sisters and brother. There’s even the rebirth/resurrection theme surrounding the lion Aslan, Narnia's true ruler.

Interestingly enough, one of the Pride of Lions in Oshkosh is named after Aslan. It is #29 on the website.

The final battle remains an incredible action piece. However, it's supposed to rival the World War II scene at the film's beginning. The classic fight between good and evil.

The Pevensie siblings turned out to be great actors. There’s a feeling of innocence in the film. And discovery. Its beauty still reels from the simplicity of the film. “Chronicles” allows for children to find good role models. And yes, the animals do talk. In perfect English too.

These weekends don’t last long. I appreciate taking the time out and just catching a few flicks. Now I'll see about staying out of the hospitals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home