17 November, 2007

Life without Doctor Who?

It’s a thankful thing that viewers come across a series like Doctor Who pulling them along on a whimsical ride through the greatest adventures of time and space. In the form of a beat-up, old British Police Box.

Yeah, it’s an antique in today’s standards.

So is the TV series. And yet, through a creative jolt, the series has found a new audience and has recently enjoyed high ratings shooting through the roof.

We’re hitting a down-time with the series right now. It’s slow-going for fans who are without usual addictive dose of the Doctor’s good strides through time travelling. They'll need to wait until the months of April or May before season four graces the screens for another thirteen hour Who fest.

But until then there’s really nothing. Except for the Christmas special coming out on Christmas Day. There’s a chance of sitting cozy in one’s seat while the blanket of cold snow rests softly against the grounds outside. Entitled "Voyage of the Damned", it might be a highlight of one of the Doctor’s travels when viewers find out what exactly happened with the Titanic and its tragic demise back in the early 1900s.

The episode looks great already. And it’ll give relief to the Doctor Who fans during the long period without the series. There’s a new companion in Kylie Minogue, a popular singer in England. But hopefully she’ll have presence enough. Especially when she’s on the same stage with the ever charismatic David Tennant, the tenth actor to take part of the Saturday evening television tradition.

After the Christmas episode, fans will again have to discover different ways of filling their steady diet of Doctor Who. Otherwise it’ll be another few months of waiting. And more waiting.

But time is always on the Doctor’s side. That’s what makes his character so enduring.

After season four of the Doctor Who series, there’ll be a brief hiatus as the fifth year will be put on the backburner. So no Doctor Who in 2009. This creative move on Russell T. Davies’ part has become a controversial one with the fans. Some think it’s a bad move considering it’s too early to take a break. Others, like myself, believe it will help boost the creative aspect of the show. It might be a good decision on their part.

But some might forget something. There’s still three one-and-a-half hour Doctor Who specials throughout the period. So it’s not going to be an entirely empty pause. Plus it keeps David Tennant on the job while he has other acting duties to perform. I’d like to keep him around for as long as possible.

And it’s good that’s he’s coming back for season five after the hiatus. So is Davies. Which means they’ll be both well-rested through the period.

Doctor Who has survived the wilderness years before. There’s no reason why it shouldn’t again.

When it was cancelled in 1989. I was shocked. I didn’t think it would ever come back again, not in any shape or form. And there’s been so many attempts to bring it to the TV screen. Finally, it happened. And it works just fine for me now. I’m delighted at its renewed, sudden resurgence. 2005 remains a hallmark moment of TV history when the Doctor grabbed Rose by the hand for the first time and told her to “Run!” And I’m already running along with him.

I'm hooked again.

But there’s been a time when I didn’t even know of the series. I shudder at the thought as the old British TV formula became so heavily ingrained in my life. I guess my life would be empty without it.

My mother used to have the series tuned in on PBS as background noise when I was a kid. I was just finishing up seventh grade and enjoying the summer months off. Then I was mesmerized for the first time when I saw the strange mummy-wrapped figures in the “The Pyramids of Mars.” And there’s a man with a long, trailing scarf running through the woods. It’s the Doctor. Played to perfection by Tom Baker.

And I was fixed with the stark imagination of the series. It’s remained a part of my life that has since I was nine-years-old. That seems so long ago. And I couldn’t imagine making a departure from the series. It’ll never happen. It’s one of the best series on TV.

Life without Doctor Who?

Unthinkable.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home