20 February, 2006

Dumb Sci-Fi

I like to unwind on late Saturday nights with some TV viewing habits. I've been turning to the Sci-Fi channel on the weekends.

I wish I didn't. Some of this stuff is awful. Worse than that. It's bland.

I've managed to get a look at something called "Lost Voyage" a couple of weeks ago. Lance Henrikson is in it. He's always a very good, watchable actor. Never a disappointment. He's cropped up in the odd realm of science-fiction. He's been in "Aliens" and the weekly series "Millennium" which haunted FOX channel around the turn of the century.

Though seeing him in this film is a bit of a pain.

"Lost Voyage" looks like it's been cobbled together. A story about a ghostly Bermuda triangle where spirits go rushing mad aboard shipwrecks. The actors in the film look like walk-ons. Seems like they're carrying the scripts in their hands and speaking the lines as they read. What's Henrikson doing in this movie? I keep wondering that.

He gets killed off in the movie nevertheless. It's not even a good death. Maybe he wanted get out of the movie early on.

Boo. There's been one good scare in the movie that was enough to make me jump out of my chair. But it doesn't make the fear factor for me.

The film's about a parapsychologist played by Judd Nelson who believes the supernatural does exit for us—the same way Mulder believes in his X-Files stories. The mystery behind the Bermuda Triangle draws him closer to what happened to his parents. They were on a cruise ship that disappeared. He wants to find them. Henrikson plays his role like a Scully-disbelieving, not convinced that ghosts stir in the region of the living.

I missed out the first half hour of the movie. I don't plan myself going back to catch the rest of it.

The following weekend offered a movie called "Dog Soldiers."

It's a low-budget British flick. It tries to be a horror/comedy, but shorts flat. It's a mock-horror feast. The acting isn't too terribly good... and the script grows more inane as the film goes along. I'm getting tired of the whole isolated place being besieged by attackers crowding the scene... and the cast gets killed off one by one. This time it's in an abandoned farm.

Sean Pertwee leads a British Army platoon into the Scottish Highlands. They find strange going-ons and a few random bodies. Mostly in chopped pieces. The film tries to re-invent the werewolf legends—throwing in comedy for a good snort. The whole thing is a bloody mess. Soldiers can apparently trade fist-fights with a werewolf in what looks like a boxing match.

The only good thing in the film is Sean Pertwee. He's the son of the third Doctor Who actor Jon Pertwee from the popular BBC science-fiction series. He's dynamite, a good, brilliant actor—obviously he's got that trait from his dad.

I know they're trying to do something different with the werewolf genre. It's a noble effort. Maybe I'm not getting the punch line.

These movies pop up usually between nine to the witching hour. I'll call it the bad-movie-limbo-zone. Where everyone dumps the TV garbage. I’m been better off with info commercials.

Sci-Fi channel should show better movies on later weekends. Hopefully. And I still look forward to seeing the new Doctor Who show debuting on Sci-Fi channel on March 17 in the U.S. It’ll be on Friday nights.

Though I got them on DVD already.

Yeah, I'm a science-fiction geek.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home